The Bakers, down from the mountains ...

"The LORD will guide you continually, And satisfy your soul in drought, And strengthen your bones; You shall be like a watered garden, And like a spring of water, whose waters do not fail. Those from among you Shall build the old waste places; You shall raise up the foundations of many generations; And you shall be called the Repairer of the Breach, The Restorer of Streets to Dwell In."
Isa 58:11-12,

Monday, June 22, 2009

The White House Quilts


Many people have been asking me about the quilts I have been doing for the Jim Shore Collection. Jim Shore is a world famous artist and he and his wife (Jan) opened a store in her hometown - the big booming metropolis of Heath Springs, SC. It also happens to be my mom's home town and where my parents currently live. This store displays all of his artwork and in the back Jan has a quilt store (her passion). Last fall, I happened upon Jan in the store and offered to make quilts for her. These first two have Jim's artwork printed on fabric in the center and I created the design around it. I attempted to keep his unique style flowing through the piece.

This one uses several of Jim Shore's fabrics. He has taken the quilt patterns he uses on his angels and made fabric out of them. Sorry the picture doesn't show the detail of the actual quilting.

This is a pattern I borrowed from Designer Joanne Page of a table runner. It was made to entice people to buy that funky fabric!



This was the first quilt I did for them. It was designed not so much for its beauty or creativeness as it was for showing off the fabrics they had in the store in hopes of selling fabric. You can't see the quilting on the piece, but in the blocks that don't have an X in the center I quilted butterflies. It adds a little pizazz anyways.


3 comments:

Katie said...

AMAZING! I can't believe how fabulous all of your quilts look!

Just g said...

Your quilts are so beautiful. I absolutely love everything that Jim Shore does. I am so happy to finally find out where in SC you can go to see his work.
Is going to that store worth a trip down there? I wanted to go there with my husband but wasn't sure it was worth the flight. (We have a small plane) I asked around and couldn't get any info on it so I am happy to finally find out where it is.

Mimi said...

G,
Here's the address and phone number. Awesome store, but you will have to decide if it's worth the trip. There isn't anything else in the area to hold your attention. You can fly into Lancaster Airport for the closest real airport. There is a small field airport called Jimmy Kirk's just down the road, but I don't know if it is still up and running. We flew in there as kids; my parents are pilots also. Good luck. 426 N. Main Street, Heath Springs, SC 29058
803/273-0123