The Bakers, down from the mountains ...

"The LORD will guide you continually, And satisfy your soul in drought, And strengthen your bones; You shall be like a watered garden, And like a spring of water, whose waters do not fail. Those from among you Shall build the old waste places; You shall raise up the foundations of many generations; And you shall be called the Repairer of the Breach, The Restorer of Streets to Dwell In."
Isa 58:11-12,

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Trapping


We have been having a problem with groundhogs around here for the past year. They were digging large holes in our yard that they would dig back out if we filled then in. Finally, I set out two conibear (body grip) traps at two of the entrances. I then blocked up the rest of the holes, forcing them through my sets. I chose to use a blind set without bait and see how that would do. I checked the sets each morning and evening and on the second evening my second set had a groundhog. He was about a foot and a half long and shaped like a hog with fur. I skinned it cased, fleshed it, stretched it, dried it with the claws, ears, face and tail on. Its pretty cool looking. I'll post a picture of the pelt when its finished drying.




3 comments:

blackhawk said...

what u gona do with the pelt if u not going to do anything i'll buy it

Coy Baker said...

I'm going to tan it and use it for decor. This hide was not prime and will not commend top price, so I'm not going to sell it. It would not be worth much anyway since I messed up one of the front paws and there is a small hole on the edge from the fleshing knife.

I am planning on running a trapline this winter and getting into the fur trade. I would then have furs to sell.

blackhawk said...

hmm
let me kknow how that truns out because have been thinking about doing that but i have wild cats sooo i might get in trouble if i cught one