The Bakers, down from the mountains ...

"The LORD will guide you continually, And satisfy your soul in drought, And strengthen your bones; You shall be like a watered garden, And like a spring of water, whose waters do not fail. Those from among you Shall build the old waste places; You shall raise up the foundations of many generations; And you shall be called the Repairer of the Breach, The Restorer of Streets to Dwell In."
Isa 58:11-12,

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

My Forge

Here are two pictures of my forge. I have a friend who is a blacksmith and he taught me a little about blacksmithing. After trying to use an open fire for heating and treating my metal I decided that it was not doing the job. So I (with help from my brothers) loaded the jeep with cinder blocks from my landlords house and hauled them to my house. Building the forge was the easy part. After laying the blocks in a orderly fashion we filled in the cracks with clay/mud. One part of the forge that is not shown in these pictures is the bellows which I installed later. I made them out of a pieces of PVC pipe running under the forge and then pointing up. At the end of the PVC pipe I strapped an old hair dryer. The blow dryer blows air into the PVC pipe and up under my hot coals giving them great heat. I am having great fun with it and it is doing the job well.



3 comments:

Heidi said...

Isaac is curious what you're blacksmithing?

Jonathan David Page said...

[aka Jonathan]

Cool forge. Or should I say hot forge?

Coy Baker said...

I forge mostly knives and I am straightening some lawn mower blades to make swords out of.